My skin is by no means perfect, but I finally feel like I’ve found what works for me, its simply, easy & not over priced- so finaaaallly I’m giving you the full low down on my skin!
FIRSTLY – TOP TIPS!
- I never leave my makeup on over night (no matter how drunk I get – yes there has been a couple falling into the bath drink related scenarios in the pursuit of clean skin)
- I try to keep my skin routine simple! As a blogger trying new products is part of what I do, but constantly changing my routine really does mess with my skin – ultimately after all the expensive high end products, this is the stuff that really works for me! & remember the easier your routine is- the more likely you will stick to it!
- Keep hydrated from within – I drink 1.5l-2l of water a day minimum
- Adjusting to your skin type – I tend to change my moisturiser to a lighter one or heavier moisturiser depending on the seasons, its important to stay in tune with your skin and adjust your routine accordingly. Likewise what works for me, might not work for you. I would say I have combination skin
- A healthy Diet , plays a big part. You are what you eat- literally!
- DON’T PICK YOUR FACE – no matter how tempting, I’ve learnt the hard way it never helps. If you must get rid of a spot- wait for a white head, or bring the spot to a head with a hot flannel, or to reduce the spot apply ice. Picking & using nails always always scars!
- Daily Facial wash– So I like to start the day fresh with a gentle cleanse, rinsing off any products left from the night before. I use simple face wash or if I’m particularly spotty I will use a foaming tea tree wash.
The reason I use a gentle foaming wash is because it isn’t as abrasive on the face, over exfoliating can make the skin very pale, we want to keep all the glowy skin we can! Also clean skin breeds for less spots.
- Daily Moisturiser – this is so important, it preps your face for the day, acts as a barrier against dirt & your makeup.. and will keep your skin hydrated which long term can slow down the ageing of your face. Currently I use Clinique Moisture Surge ( I sometimes change my daily moisturiser seasonally – dependent on whether my skin is more dry, shiny etc.)
- Removing Makeup- as bad as everyone says they are, I do use makeup wipes. This is because it is EASY! I like really wet ones that can get off my mascara super quick & I am very thorough with getting it all off. I also found previously using cleansers & toners over time really dried my skin as it would clear away all my skins natural oils etc. causing more spots. My favourite wipes are Johnsons face wipes. As makeup wipes are super greasy, they shouldn’t be left on your skin, so after I remove the makeup I always wash my face with water after making sure all the grease gets removed as well as any excess makeup that is left there. On no makeup days I would skip to just washing my face & avoid wipes completely.
- Night time wash & Exfoliate – I use an exfoliating facial wash every night, this helps prevent spots & blackheads. Also removes any old dry skin- leaving skin looking refreshed & glowing. My favourite is ST IVES invigorating Apricot Scrub – its a good daily one as its abrasive but not too harsh on the skin, I like to use it at night in case my face is a little red after – and also feel the skin is fresh to absorb any night time products I use.
- Night Time Moisturiser – for me night time is the time you can really impact a change on your skin. Your body is resting and recovering & if treated correctly so is your skin. If you don’t try any of the products listed I would stress to you that above all of these, this moisturiser is my ultimate skin care product! The La roche-posay Effaclar Duo has really changed my skin. It’s not named as a night time cream, but this is when it works best for me & how I use it in my routine. I find it helps prevent those dreaded under the skin spots that never really surface & really helps to de-clog pores. I even feel my skin tone has evened out & I definitely have fewer imperfections since using this every night.
- Eye care – I suffer with awful under eye bags, & if like me you do too, its genetic and there isn’t tons you can do to avoid this, however using an extremely hydrating eye cream at night definitely helps! I use Clinique’s All about Eyes Rich cream, I tend to gently dab a generous amount under each eye & blend out gently but still leave visible cream to soak in over night. This helps reduce the darkness & puffiness.
Additional SKIN CARE:
- Sephora Face & Eye masks– These are my favourite masks, they are sheet masks & they have several different types, I tend to do one every week dependent on how my skin has been. If my skin has been inflamed at all I use a more soothing one, & in general love using them to relax before bed. The Eye specific ones again help with under eye bags & relaxation.
- Black head clear out / Reduction– I use a charcoal based peel off mask to help get rid of my black heads, first I would clean my face, then pop a hot towel across it to open my pores! Then I go in with MASQUE BAR luminizing charcoal peel off mask, you will need to do this once every week or every fortnight for this to be effective.
- Gently using a skincare blackhead tool can further help to get rid of those pesky deep black heads. Again prep skin, clean skin, steam skin or apply a warm towel to open pores- then the tool can glide over spots without damaging / pinching skin.
- Reducing scars & dark marks – I use a repair cream & dab this on any scars at night, this I guarantee will reduce any delicate facial scars. Use sparingly as this cream is thick, and we don’t want to cause any more spots, use only on affected area directly on scar. I use Avene Cilcalfate Cream , it’s not a scar cream, but works so well at reducing scars!
LET me know if you want a video on this topic on my channel – just hit the contact page & send those request through!